Man shot dead in Glasgow restaurant identified

Image copyright @elizastourner on Twitter Image caption Police believe Coady shot John Friesen several times before heading to the nearby Ayrshire Splash water park

A former outrider has been identified as the man shot dead outside a restaurant in Glasgow on Thursday.

Lucinda Coady, whose brother is an outrider in the Outlaws Motorcycle Club, was arrested shortly after the incident and later released without charge.

John Friesen, 62, from Howden, Erskine, died at the scene in Clutha Street.

Officers are continuing to carry out door-to-door inquiries.

Police said he was a “dedicated motorcycle enthusiast” who rode competitively, but had a medical issue that had made it hard for him to compete.

Image copyright @elizastourner on Twitter Image caption A heated fight has been reported to police but has not been confirmed as being connected to the incident

His family has been told.

Coroner for Glasgow Michael Hogg said Mr Friesen had died of multiple gunshot wounds.

He named Mr Coady as the woman who was arrested in Monklands but released without charge.

The body of a young child was found in a hit-and-run crash a few hundred yards from the incident.

Police said they are continuing to search for a car and a woman which were being sought in connection with the incident.

The weapon has not been recovered and no arrests have been made.

Police Scotland released a CCTV image of a red Toyota Corolla they are appealing for information on.

Image copyright @Empress_Paradeschool Image caption The Scottish Government said it “strongly condemns” the incident

A spokesman said: “We are asking people with information about who is driving this car, or who was in it at the time of the incident to contact Police Scotland.”

Family of Mr Friesen said they had learned of his death “the same way as everyone else” after a press release sent by a friend.

Outside their Howden home on Friday, his sister-in-law Delia Friesen revealed that he had suffered from failing eyesight and heart conditions but never let them slow him down.

She said: “He was just a good man.”

The Scottish Government condemned what it called an “irresponsible” act.

The Government’s parliamentary Secretary for the Environment, Stewart Stevenson, said: “It appears the events in Glasgow last night have resulted in the tragic death of an innocent man and an entirely unnecessary and entirely irresponsible act.

“The Government strongly condemns this despicable act.

“We have been discussing this highly serious and emotive issue with the communities around Glasgow who are looking after thousands of innocent people at a time of major disruption.

“We will continue to keep these communities informed and keep supporting them in a spirit of calm and in friendship.”

Leave a Comment